Day 132: Orange Nearly-a-Week

Inadvertently I have gathered quite a number of orange items in the last couple of op/thrift shop/store trips and so it is officially orange nearly-a-week. It is not a full week as I will have to interrupt orangeness for the vastly more important Eurovision weekend.

Kindness headed towards Neely for the topics on today's Sunday Social which make topic finding a breeze! Thanks.

One year ago I was doing:
Exactly one year ago today I woke up with a migraine in the youth hostel in Earby in the United Kingdom, one of the many stops of my 2012 section of the Land's End to John O'Groats walk I am doing. Despite the fact that they should usually throw you out during the day, she sent me back to bed and let me sleep it off. It was an amazing trip for meeting wonderful women with interesting stories to tell.

Five years ago I was doing:
A major change of career from travel to emergency services. My doomed theory was that I wanted to work somewhere where I would not have to be nice to people. I was fed up with customer service. So I thought I would work for police communications, the prison system or customs. I chickened out on applying as a prison guard in the end, but applied for the other two. Both had a psych test. I believe one wanted people who passed it, and the other people who failed. Looking around at my work colleagues and friends, who I love dearly and who are all incredibly 'not-normal', I think ours required the fail. I also had a little fling-ette in Hawaii five years ago which was, I believe, the turning point to thinking, after the break down of a relationship I thought would be 'forever', that I would never be loved again. (Poor me.) Sometimes you think silly things and it is nice when that ends.

Ten Years ago I was doing:
A tantrum throwing session. I came back to work at the travel agency from a holiday and realised I could no longer abide an industry that rewarded selfishness. No-one had assisted my clients to the degree I would other people's clients while I was away and I quit then and there and signed up to go back to university to study literature and creative writing. I temped for another five years, but school was my life and the best thing I ever did. Hey, I am loving this topic. I am happy with these decisions. They have brought me to exactly this point and I am loving this point.

Irene               List_Addict

One year from now I will be doing:
Umm. Bit of a pattern, but one year from now I will be walking the last stage of my walk. Booked the holiday dates in just a couple of weeks ago. I estimate there may be about five hundred kilometeres to go. If I don't finish ... oh my lord, I will cry. And then I will go back again, touch the end, turn around and head a different route back down again. This could last a lifetime. Taking the boy this time. Lots of space with lots of nooks and crannies for one of us to bury the other if it doesn't work out well.

Five years from now I will be doing:
Maybe I will have finally submitted a proposal to do my PhD and will be using post-Freudian analysis and gender studies to analyse the effects of fatherlessness on violence as portrayed in Fight Club, Dexter and Dicken's Great Expectations. I'll be just about finished the dissertation and universities will be head-hunting my quirky analytical style to be part of their Literary Studies Faculty. I'll have to travel a lot. And I will have to get a bit braver about public speaking.

Ten years from now:
I will have bought my first home, which of course will be my beach house (I am skipping traditional first homes in favour of this more coveted option). It will have a covered verandah where I will write and blog while amazing storms roll over. A warm beach is by no means a pre-requisite. Actually, yes, I can see it. I think it is actually in Cornwall. And whenever I need to I can pop into London. Or Europe. Or the Caribbean.


The Outfit
Orange Singlet: River Island
Shirt: Op-shopped
Shorts: Target
Tights: Macy's
Boots: Hunters


Photographer de Jour: V——


Who wore it better?

Linky today with:


and

Sunday Social

Comments

  1. Better make it a big house, we're coming to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an amazing exercise, and one I must do soon. In private. And I may steal your beach house, although it won't be my first house purchase.

    Love the light orange top - would that be called salmon? May be a good color for my hair...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!

Popular Posts