Day 137: What The Fashion Serious Can Learn From The Fashion Frivilous—Eurovision Day 1

I wrote the title of this blog first today. It is usually the last thing I do. But I had the highest hopes about what Eurovision 2013 would tell us about, well, not taking fashion too seriously. I. Tell. You. What. It was one of the great disappointments of my life. (Exaggeration Alert) Not worth getting my false eyelashes out for. Eurovision has conformed to normality! I am mortified. We don't watch Eurovision to see people who look like Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber. We watch it for the openly kitsch, post-modern, piss-take on popular culture and the mega-bucks behind it. We watch for the infiltration of the satorially creative/sartorially challenged former Eastern Block. We watch for excess of sequin, feather and hue. Sure, they had the wind machine. And yes there were a couple of scupturally challenging pieces, but for the most part there was beige, black and boring.

Irene               List_Addict

Kudos to Croatia for their jousting pantaloons; Montenegro for their version of Fergie (and the Black Eyed Peas) with her perspex wings; Belarus for one of only two countries who could muster up some colour; Moldova for wearing a cinema screen (that was taking photo-realism fabric prints to the next level) and the Serbians who were Alice-In-Wonderland meets the Disney Princess' with a troupe of Robert Plant type back-up singers who had just experienced some sort of glue and cotton ball mishap. Even the countries who usually spare no lack of expense creating the whackiest entrants (I think in the mad hope that they don't actually win and have to pay for the extravaganza that is next year's Eurovision contest—I'm thinking Ireland, UK and Greece here) submitted an actual teeny-bopper rock star. I will stop the rant and pray that twenty four hours brings a renewed Eurovision spirit. More tomorrow.


The Outfit
Top/Dress: Op-shopped
Jacket: Op-shopped
Necklace: CCJJSS
Shoes: Irregular Choice


Photographer de Jour: Moi


Who wore it better?

Sharing the Friday love with:



and

and

and

Lena B, Actually

Comments

  1. 100% Gorgeous!
    You should be hired as Fashion Coordinator for Eurovision 2014 and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello fur, thank you for your comment . i love your blog. it's a great idea. your out fit is lovely i love the cape.
    i too am a list and order addict. however i am also create chaos,. so between the 2 is where my life is.
    once i sold and outfit to one of the eurovision contestants. it was when it was hosted in ireland . it was a suit by a young designer. it was shiny blue jacket and long skirt. very out there. i loved it and i was happy it was going to someone who would give it the life it deserved. anyhow looking forward to your next post . lucyx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be the favourite event of my lifetime if I had that story to tell! How awesome. Thanks so much for following. I have added you to my list of faves too!

      Delete
  3. Great outfit,love the bird on your dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab outfit! I love that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cool look, hun!!
    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Passion For Fashion! Hope to see you again this Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!

Popular Posts