Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Day 310: Books or Bricks, Words or Windows?

The Australian government (yeah, I am embarrassed about them too), in their infinite wisdom, are proposing that we will need to wait until we are seventy in order to retire. It is their hope, I am sure, that we will: (a) make enough money to be self-supporting for the rest of our short retirement years to avoid asking them for any, or, (b) die conveniently soon before, or soon after, so we can't ask them for any money and they can take a chunk of ours in 'being dead' tax. But if that is to be the case, I think it may be time to look at a career path. Previously I thought I had left the run too late, but now I have extra time to play with, and play I must. I have two ideas.

List_Addict               Irene

I could either get my PhD (here she goes again, clapping on about the damn PhD, the audience murmurs), or I can completely change track and study architecture. When I was at high school there was this book in the careers councillor's office that went through all the careers in the world, alphabetically, telling you what you did, what you needed, what you studied. I never really got beyond the 'a' section (I'm systematic that way). I always thought I had found all the vocations I needed to think about in 'artist', 'archeologist' and 'architect'. I can't say what happened, what changed. Maybe I am just a commitment-phobe. Maybe I just lost track. But the other day, while watching Grand Designs (you all do, admit it!) I suddenly blurted out that long held desire to be an architect. And really, it's probably not as silly an idea as it seems. I think I would have more fun being a PhD-ed literature professor, leather-patched elbowed and tying together theory and pop culture in the most ridiculous ways that I can. I love it beyond words, but the prospects are much slimmer—I would effectively have to wait for a professor to fall dead from his perch in order to race several hundred other interested parties to his stand, office and post-name letters. As an architect I would have fewer opportunities for flights-of-fancy thought (but probably not none), but more opportunities to actually get a job (even if I am old). Commitment is still fighting its way into my brain with placards and objections, but ... Let's just say there is a small crowd shouting out some slogans for the opposition. What do you think? Is it ever too late to make such a radical change? Or should I happily go to my grave telling police where to go.

Now, truth be known, these photos are from a stockpile I made before leaving. I'm currently on holidays, walking through the UK and forgetting all about fashion (I wore socks and sandals to breakfast if that gives you any indication of how much I have forgotten). If you'd like to see what I'm up to please pop over to my other blog for a visit. Enjoy!


The Outfit
Clearing the Closet: It’s time to go tan coloured corduroy jacket
Dress: Op-shopped and chopped
Jacket: Target (a million years ago)
Earrings: Lovisa
Shoes: Op-shopped


Photographer de Jour: Moi


Who Wore It Better?



Getting linky today with:

pleated poppy






KimbaLikes


5 comments:

  1. Hope you're enjoying a fab holiday in the UK. I'm such an Anglophile and so very jealous!

    Thanks for joining Wardrobe Wednesday x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the corduroy jacket is great! Great colour. Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so stupid about the retirement age, isn't it. There's not enough jobs as it is and many jobs are just too exhausting when you're older! They've raised it to 68 for me I think and the thought of having the energy to bounce around like I do now in my teaching job seems v remote!!! The dress is super pretty! Yay. You came to England!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are having a great time in England! Socks and sandals...well...if you can't wear them in England where can you wear them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pattern on your dress, I can't wait to see what you buy from Irregular Choice, have an amazing time here in England :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!