Monday, June 16, 2014

Day 312: You Could Read Something Else

It is reckoning time. The Literary Junkies June round-up. If you are here for amazing fashion, can I recommend you visit Ari or Tamara instead; if you are here for naked bike rides, can I suggest Melanie may be more what you need; if it was engaging repartee you wanted, maybe go visit Sally. But if hearing me rattle on and on about books in a monthly review of all things bookish, an exercise which always ends up longer than polite society deems acceptable, then you're in the right place: HERE! [I can feel you clicking the 'X' button from here B——, don't think I can't!].


Q: What are you reading? Tell us about it!

A: The attempt to get the book pile to a reasonable size is marching steadily in the wrong direction despite having blitzed through quite a few books on my recent holidays. New to the currently reading pile are three books courtesy of my latest Book Riot Quarterly Box. This quarter was all about genre, and the team decided to get us to stretch our genre-ic legs by trying something that we might not ordinarily read: Romance, YA ('Young Adult' in case you haven't picked up a book since the latest genre phenomenon hit town) and Fantasy. In that order, the new books are A Rogue By Any Other Name by Sarah McLean, Please Ignore Vera Dietz by AS King, and, The Killing Moon by NK Jemisin. They have literally hit the pile in the last few days; I have yet to start any of the three so I can't tell you about them—I don't like to read blurbs, it gives too much away!


Q: Library or bookstore?

A: I love the idea, and the institutions, of libraries, but I am a keeper of books and so the bookstore, real and virtual, is my place. A girl can't have a book-room full of books that have to be returned to someone else's book-room every two weeks now, can she? When I find my perfect house with its amazing book-room, I dare say I will have to spend some more time in bookstores because a shelf seems like a lot of books, but a room full of shelves will need quite a few more. What a shame. Maybe I turn make my book-room into a library!

List_Addict               Irene

Q: What book(s) have you read and re-read several times?

A: I am currently re-reading the Millennium series. Are they going to make another movie? I'm missing my Daniel Craig 'Blomkvist'. But the series or books I have re-read the most would be a close tie between the Harry Potters and The Great Gatsby. I re-read Fitzgerald because of the magic of the language; I re-read the series' because it puts into perspective what amazing writing-engineering feats they are.


Q: What is the first book that made you fall in love with reading?

A: I can't recall not loving to read and so it is hard to say what started it all. I would read Nancy Drew and Famous Five books in single sittings during my parents naps; I would sneak into the conservatory (for want of a better description of what that room actually was) and read books by torchlight when I was supposed to be sleeping. I think I must have brought reading over from the last life—I don't think I have a starting date.


Q: Who's your favorite author? Tell us so we can binge-read!

A: I'm a Libran. This question never results in a one word answer. I'll throw a few names into the ring: Chuck Palahniuk, Niall Williams, Kate Atkinson, Jeannette Winterson, Haruki Murakami.


Gotta go, I can't get enough of The Handmaid's Tale at the moment. I read it years ago: I think we all did. But I have forgotten, or not realised when it was a 'school' book, how amazing it is. The original dystopian YA as someone (citation needed, Wikipedia style) said recently. Do yourself a favour, if you are between books and wondering what to look at. I can't wait to read more Atwood. Don't understand why I waited so long?



The Outfit
Clearing the Closet: It’s time to go black tunic whose strange neck has got stranger with washing
Tunic: Op-shopped
Jacket: Thrifted, Alamosa, CO (don't worry, it is not real)
Leggings: Black Milk
Sunglasses: I have no idea!
Shoes: Swedish Hasbeens


Photographer de Jour: Moi


Who Wore It Better?



Getting linky today with:

Pink Heels Pink Truck


pleated poppy






KimbaLikes


1 comment:

  1. La la love those shoes and the faux fur is fabulous! Thanks for joining Wardrobe Wednesday x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!