Day 343: Any Excuse for a Bout of Books (11)

I have a Quarterly Box that I spoil myself with four times a year. It is from Book Riot, which means I get books and book related fabulousnesses sent to my door. What a blessed thing! Last time the wonderous box arrived on my door it had a voucher for a couple of free monthes use of the Oyster Books app. Being an Australian, I am unable to access Oyster as it currently only works in the United States. Sooo! If you have been having thoughts of joining up and are a United States resident, and if you have an email attached to your comments, then be the first person to comment saying you want it and I will email you privately to get your details and send it on. I don't know if that is the right thing to do, I can't guarantee if it will work, but I am happy to send it to you to give it a go. Let me know.

List_Addict               Irene

I'm seriously jealous of Oyster, even though I have the perfectly fabulous alternative that does like the credit cards of Australians: Scribd. I use oodles of valuable reading time scrolling through books I could read on Scribd if it wasn't for the fact that I spend too much time looking for books to read on Scribd—a snake with its tail in its mouth. If I had an Oyster account I would have even less time for actually reading books per se. So although I can't wait, I am grateful for any delay in their decision to expand. Antidote-erally ('coz that's a word, meaning to perform an action that has an antidote effect on the action that couldn't be performed in the last set of sentences), I am joining up with something else instead. Bout of Books 11. It is a week of reading as many books as is humanly possible—in a week. It is a reason to do nothing at any given spare moment for a whole week but read books. I am so excited. The only down side is I am starting a diet that week with my mum, and possibly my sister, and so the reading will be unassisted by chocolate biscuits, marshmallows, cake or any such joys. [There you go B——, books and diets in one blog for you]. Bout of Books is brought to you, if you would like to participate, by the folks over at Bout of Books. You can be like me and sit on your couch reading and not eating yummy things, you can add cakes to the equation, or you can go all out with updates and competitions and Twittering and have a great social week of books. Join in, go on—I'm so looking forward to saying 'Sorry, I can't. I'm reading.' Even if it is just for one week!

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 18th and runs through Sunday, August 24th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 11 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team


Time to be devoted to reading: All that is physically possible.

Goals: Read lots and lots.

Books: I'm going to aim for ones that help finish some of my challenges, details to come.

Progress:

Monday:

00:44: Starting a whole forty-four minutes late due to a problem opening one of the selected books on Scribd (still unresolved), I have now, if front of me, the first four books I will attempt this week. They are all from my Semi Charmed Kind of Life Book Challenge. Number Fourteen on the Times Bestsellers Paperback Trade Fiction list at the time I started reading it: The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert (501 pages). A book written before I was born: The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick (3883 Kindle location units(?) equalling 259 pages). A book another blogger (or eighty) has read for the challenge: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (415 pages). And, a biography, autobiography or memoir: The Twelfth of Never: A Memoir by Louis Nowra (377 pages). Off I go! Good luck to all.

23:37: Scribd resolved.
The Signature of All Things - 16/501
The Man in the High Castle - 9%
Gone Girl - 36/415
The Twelfth of Never - 31/377

Tuesday:

22:49: Update The Signature of All Things - 29/501
The Man in the High Castle - 16%
Gone Girl - 72/415
The Twelfth of Never - 33/377

Wednesday:

03:01 (technically Thursday): Couldn't help it! Added a book. Semi Charmed Challenge. A book from the Children's section of the library or bookstore: The Name of This Book is Secret by Psuedonymous Bosch (326 pages).
The Signature of All Things - 53/501
The Man in the High Castle - 25%
Gone Girl - 88/415
The Twelfth of Never - 44/377
The Name of this Book is Secret - 70/326

Thursday:

01:19 (technically Friday): Not going quite as well as I expected!
The Signature of All Things - 73/501
The Man in the High Castle - 43%
Gone Girl - 124/415
The Twelfth of Never - 74/377
The Name of this Book is Secret - 114/326

Friday:

00:16 (just gone Saturday): Abysmal!
The Signature of All Things - 82/501
The Man in the High Castle - 48%
Gone Girl - 178/415
The Twelfth of Never - 90/377
The Name of this Book is Secret - 168/326

Saturday:

23:21: Update
The Signature of All Things - 82/501
The Man in the High Castle - 57%
Gone Girl - 262/415
The Twelfth of Never - 90/377
The Name of this Book is Secret - 196/326

Sunday:

13:06 (the next day, fell asleep last night!): In a week I read 810 pages and didn't finish a single book. I guess I'm just not a finisher, and now I have five more unfinished books on my pile. They're all good reads so I will get to enjoy them a little longer. [sigh]
The Signature of All Things - 82/501
The Man in the High Castle - 65%
Gone Girl - 274/415
The Twelfth of Never - 90/377
The Name of this Book is Secret - 196/326


The Outfit
A Green Velvet Dress Many Ways
Dress: Op-shopped
Jacket: Thrifted, Savers, USA
Necklace: Retail
Shoes: Dr Martens


Photographer de Jour: Moi


Who Wore It Better?



Sharing the love with:

Bout of Books




Lena B, Actually


Style Elixir


 photo 180x180FifButton_zps35920849.png


Comments

Popular Posts